Friday, 27 May 2016

Loving Yourself #1 | Celebrating Your Own Achievements

The photo is me, in a beautiful place called Domboshava in Zimbabwe, where I was enjoying the view, and clearly loving life a lot!

I've been wanting to write posts of this nature for a long time now, so I thought I'd start a little series called 'loving yourself.' The name comes from a little joke a friend and I have, where we refer to simply having self-confidence as 'loving yourself' and it became a thing.

I think that this is such an important thing to talk about, mainly because - you are you. You were born looking like you do, you have a unique personality, quirks and interests. Wherever you go, whoever you're with, whatever you do, the only person you are with 100% of the time is yourself. So why not appreciate the good things about yourself, enjoy the good aspects of your personality, the little things you like about yourself? Why not love the body you have, dress it how you want, put makeup on the face you have, make yourself look exactly how you like it, no matter what you look like? Why not love yourself?

For this post, I want to focus on achievements. I feel like such an emphasis is placed on being humble, and there are so many negative words around such as 'bragging', 'self-centred', 'arrogant' etc. that people might not always give themselves the credit they deserve.

Celebrate the big achievements, for example

  • getting the exam results you needed or wanted
  • going travelling without parents
  • going to university
  • graduating university
  • getting your first job
  • getting a promotion or a better job

I often make blog posts about mine, such as graduating from university, or doing charity work abroad. But there are other things I've achieved that I will proudly declare now - the first one being getting into St. Andrews University in Scotland to do a master's course next year! I never expected I'd get in, and the university is number 3 in the newest league tables, right behind Oxford and Cambridge, which gives me a little excited flutter in my stomach every time I think about it. I also got into a very competitive teaching graduate scheme, which despite having to withdraw from after the first month, I still smashed that original interview and beat out a lot of other applicants for a place. If anything like this has happened for you, celebrate it! Be proud of it! Talk about it, shout about it! 

Another really important thing that often gets overlooked, are the little achievements in life. Those tiny things you find difficult. Those things that seem effortless for so many people, but it's a big deal to you. This could be anything, like

  • booking a doctors/dentist appointment
  • finally catching up on bills and paperwork
  • starting an assignment and it isn't the day before the deadline
  • tidying your bedroom
  • cleaning the house
  • taking the rubbish out

I'll give you an example from my personal life. I have an anxiety disorder (I've not really spoken about this on here, but I might do a post about it in the future) and celebrating little achievements really helps me a lot. So a few weeks ago, I needed to hand a spare set of keys into my estate agents, because they didn't have one. I had the keys in an envelope ready to go, but for some reason I was having an anxiety related block. I froze up every time my mum asked if I'd done it yet. 

I'm not sure why I found it so scary - I think it might have something to do with the layout of the estate agents office, the person in charge of lettings is at the very back and when you walk in, all the people at their desks are facing you and looking at you, and the closest one will ask if they can help, but you're still standing in front of everyone. A few days ago, I braved it, and just did it. This might seem like such an easy thing to anyone else, but to me, this was an achievement. I'm proud of that, and I'm not going to put it down or brush it to the side just because 'anyone else' would have done it without any problems. I then rewarded myself with a new lipstick from Superdrug, which was next door

I guess the message I'm trying to get across here, is that achievements can be different things for different people, and I strongly believe in being proud of yourself. Maybe every day, write down what you achieved, because there will always be something - even if it is just getting out of bed and getting dressed. 

In the comments below, write down one thing you've achieved recently!

Lots of love,
Susan




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Love From Susan. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig